PDA

View Full Version : Chine Repair

ausable_jack
09-26-2013, 09:52 AM
After 5 years and 100+ trips I have finally chipped away at the Chine on my Clackacraft to the point that it needs repairing. My question is, who in michigan does good work? Please only respond if you have personally had work done by the person you recommend. My understanding is the chine repair is not covered by clackacraft, plus I would end up paying shipping, and obviously I would be without a boat for some time. My hope is to find someone who does quality work in michigan. Thanks in advance for any information.

dgawlak
09-26-2013, 10:35 AM
I am surprised know one has chined in yet???!!! :D

PK
09-26-2013, 04:22 PM
Well played Dgwlak.

Stealthcraft. I'm Bias...but they'll Tee you up and do good work. Right in Baldwin. Might also look into Chine guards...like bowling with bumpers. Had them on my old boat and got'em on my new Whip. They carry those as well.

http://stealthcraftboats.com/index.php?view=image&format=raw&type=img&id=1020&option=com_joomgallery&Itemid=128

PK

coltblaze
09-26-2013, 04:26 PM
I would call Mike @ Stealth Craft boats here in Baldwin he has done work for me he can fix anything on a drift boat...what...is Fear No Rock just a slogan :rolleyes:

Michael

dgawlak
09-27-2013, 08:34 AM
I would call Mike @ Stealth Craft boats here in Baldwin he has done work for me he can fix anything on a drift boat...what...is Fear No Rock just a slogan :rolleyes:

Michael

My first Clacka I ran for 22 years never touched the fiberglass and it is still being used (East side of the state). I have seen what Mike has done for repairs and his work is solid.

ausable_jack
09-28-2013, 10:22 AM
First the fear no rock slogan is for punctures to the bottom. The boat slides off rocks great. If I listed all the rivers I send it down you would understand why the chines are beat up. I fish 80+ days a year and have had the boat 5 years. (if I say I only take my boat out 20-30 times a year= 100 to 150 trips) I definitely will speak to the quality of their workmanship. I know Clacka would do great work just the shipping and time seem prohibitive.

I certainly don't want to start anything or speak ill of anyone, but a friend had a bad experience with a popular local boat builder. Hence why I asked for info on only builders that you have had work done by. PK your boat (I think that was yours) was a work of art.

Driften
09-28-2013, 10:40 AM
First the fear no rock slogan is for punctures to the bottom. The boat slides off rocks great. If I listed all the rivers I send it down you would understand why the chines are beat up. I fish 80+ days a year and have had the boat 5 years. (if I say I only take my boat out 20-30 times a year= 100 to 150 trips) I definitely will speak to the quality of their workmanship. I know Clacka would do great work just the shipping and time seem prohibitive.

I certainly don't want to start anything or speak ill of anyone, but a friend had a bad experience with a popular local boat builder. Hence why I asked for info on only builders that you have had work done by. PK your boat (I think that was yours) was a work of art.

At least you know who NOT to go to. Never mind fear no rock, at least he didn't accuse you of being a poacher. :rolleyes:

fish4fun
10-15-2013, 10:24 PM
I used to repair my chines myself with Marine Tech. It is really simple to use and is extremely durable. I ordered mine on-line at any number of retailers, or you could pick some up at your local marina.